Monday, August 18, 2014

Book Review: Silver Shadows by Richelle Mead

Hardcover, 416 pages
Publisher: Razorbill
Source: Purchased from Chapters Indigo
Sydney Sage is an Alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secrets—and human lives.

In The Fiery Heart, Sydney risked everything to follow her gut, walking a dangerous line to keep her feelings hidden from the Alchemists.

Now in the aftermath of an event that ripped their world apart, Sydney and Adrian struggle to pick up the pieces and find their way back to each other. But first, they have to survive.

For Sydney, trapped and surrounded by adversaries, life becomes a daily struggle to hold on to her identity and the memories of those she loves. Meanwhile, Adrian clings to hope in the face of those who tell him Sydney is a lost cause, but the battle proves daunting as old demons and new temptations begin to seize hold of him. . . .

Thoughts:
I loved Vampire Academy (the movie, not so much), but, in my opinion, the Bloodlines series is a gazillion times better. Sydney and Adrian are the cutest couple in the universe.

Silver Shadows is the fifth installment in the Bloodlines series and the second last book featuring the Vampire Academy world (that I know of). Upon picking up the book, my first thought revolved around how visibly shorter it is than its predecessors. Reading the books showed me why. While the other novels had multiple, interwoven storyline featuring all the beloved characters from Amberwood, Silver Shadows focused on Sydney and Adrian in places other than Amberwood without the Amberwood cast. The entirety of Silver Shadows was about the rescue of Sydney from the Alchemists. It was fun, but part of me missed the other beloved characters and the humor usually found in Richelle Mead's work. Sure, it had a few jokes. But a majority of the book saw the two main characters tortured. It's hard to throw out a witty one-liner when someone's having their hand dipped in acid.

Still, I eagerly await the sequel, the finale to the Bloodlines series, while simultaneously dreading the coming end.

Would I recommend this book? Yes
 
Would I re-read it? Yup!

Would I read a sequel? I'd read it now if it was out

Next Monday... I'll be doing my second Series Binge on Lauren Oliver's Delirium trilogy

No comments:

Post a Comment