Monday, July 21, 2014

Series Binge: Archetype duology by M.D. Waters

Binge-eating? Binge-watching? How about binge-reading? Sometimes, you just can’t put a book down. You need the sequel. Then you need its sequel. Before you know it, you’ve read a seven-book series in under a week. I confess, I need help. This week, my addiction was…



Archetype
Hardcover, 384 pages
Publisher: Dutton Adult
Source: Toronto Public Library

Emma wakes in a hospital, with no memory of what came before. Her husband, Declan, a powerful, seductive man, provides her with new memories, but her dreams contradict his stories, showing her a past life she can’t believe possible: memories of war, of a camp where girls are trained to be wives, of love for another man. Something inside her tells her not to speak of this, but she does not know why. She only knows she is at war with herself.

Suppressing those dreams during daylight hours, Emma lets Declan mold her into a happily married woman and begins to fall in love with him. But the day Noah stands before her, the line between her reality and dreams shatters.

In a future where women are a rare commodity, Emma fights for freedom but is held captive by the love of two men—one her husband, the other her worst enemy. If only she could remember which is which. . . .

Prototype
ARC, 372 pages
Publisher: Dutton Adult
Source: Penguin Canada

Emma looks forward to the day when she can let go of her past—both of them. After more than a year on the run, with clues to her parents’ whereabouts within her grasp, she may finally find a place to settle down. Start a new life. Maybe even create new memories with a new family.

But the past rises to haunt her and to make sure there’s nowhere on the planet she can hide. Declan Burke wants his wife back, and with a little manipulation and a lot of reward money, he’s got the entire world on his side. Except for the one man she dreads confronting the most: Noah Tucker.

Emma returns to face what she’s done but finds that the past isn’t the problem. It’s the present—and the future it represents. Noah has moved on and another woman is raising their daughter.

Thoughts:
I devoured these books! I cancelled plans for these books! I forgot to eat for these books!

Needless to say, I loved the Archetype duology.

I never would have heard of this series if it wasn't for the Goodreads First Reads giveaway of Prototype. Therefore, all the thanks in the world goes to Goodreads for hosting the giveaway, to Penguin Canada for sending me the ARC, and to M.D. Waters for writing the book. I'm glad I submitted my name, even though it was for book two, because I had a great time reading!

When I first read the summary for Archetype, it brought to mind Margaret Atwood's The Handmaiden's Tale. While they have similarities, with the foremost being the systematic breeding of women, Emma is a modern, kickass heroine. She has an incredible journey not only involving her sexuality, but also memory loss, cloning and a revolution. There were so many layers and twists in this series! I especially loved that I couldn't guess all of them.

Why couldn't I stop reading? It was the guys, Declan and Noah. I love how Waters made me love one and hate one at the start just to switch it around by the end. If an author can make you feel, they're doing a great job. Emma's relationships were the highlights of the series, with a close second being the exciting plot itself.

Sometime Emma's voice was "choppy" (contractions weren't always used), but that didn't stop me from flipping the pages at light speed. I almost wish there was another book in the series, that's how good it was! The story ended where it needed to, though. It didn't drag for a moment. It was fast-paced and amazing. Truly amazing. I can't think of any other word.

I'll miss you, Emma Wade!

Would I recommend this series? Hell, yeah!

Would I re-read it? I want to read it again right now... *picks up book*

Next Monday... I'll be reviewing an e-ARC copy of The House of the Four Winds!

No comments:

Post a Comment